The loose boxy cardigan I started a couple weeks ago is now finished. It turned into a hybrid knitted and crochet work when I decided I wanted funky open weave sleeves. I picked this spooky spiders crochet stitch and worked my first chart.
The trim around the neck and down the front is a lemon peel stitch. Here's one more very simple stitch that would also make a good trim.
For the sleeves, I looked at a few dozen stitches for a new one. This color coded chart made it easy to understand how charts work. The pattern itself was simple enough that I could ditch the reference after a couple rounds. These airy, short sleeves balance out the heat of the bulky back and front panels. I always tend to push up my sleeves, so I like having them already there.
To me, the short boxiness combines with the volume of the sleeves for a 1940s callback. To fit this feel, I wore a simple gray wool pencil skirt. I just finished it the night before I wore it, and I was so excited I didn't stop to block it again (I had blocked the body before adding sleeves and trim).
See the beginning of this project here. Next, I'd like to switch to a more delicate yarn and smaller needles. I think I'll still freehand, it feels more exciting than following a pattern.